Announcing OpenURU.org

This category is for foreign languages. Feel free to contact us.
Antworten
Szark
Forscher

Announcing OpenURU.org

Beitrag von Szark » 13.12.2008, 11:46

Greetings,

Announcing OpenURU.org, a project site for the Uru community to promote Open Uru projects.

I'd like to say I was being prophetic, but the truth is, I was working on a proposal for Open Source Uru which I planned to develop with others who would join my efforts and submit it to Cyan in the Spring.

But now, with the news Cyan is actually open sourcing Uru, things have accelerated and I would like to offer the OpenURU.org domain for community use.

There is a forum now. Administration is not complete because I wasn't expecting an open house nearly so soon. But it's useable.

What I plan to offer the community in terms of resources:

Subdomains: Put up your own qualified project website on the domain.
Central forums: Everyone discusses their various projects here.
Dedicated project forums: Project leaders control their own forum and membership group.
Email: POP3 mailboxes for qualified project members.

There could be much more, but that's all I have developed so far.

Chogon (Mark DeForest, Cyan CTO) tells me "the source [will be] hosted at an open source repository, such as GoogleCode or LaunchPad. However, there will have to be a place for information about the game and where to go" and "it is not limited to those repositories."

The website still needs a home page. In the meantime, please use this link to reach the forums:

http://forums.OpenURU.org

Please feel free to register. After you are validated, you may join the Member group through your control panel to have access to post on the forum(s).

Stay tuned for updates to the landscape.

All the best to everyone,

JWPlatt
Brought to you by the GoMe Message delivery service. Serving the community.
Szark
Forscher

OpenURU.org Q&A Chat Announcement

Beitrag von Szark » 17.12.2008, 23:49

OpenURU.org Q&A Chat Announcement
JWPlatt hat geschrieben:Greetings,

I would like to provide an opportunity for a live Q&A chat session about OpenURU.org.

The Q&A is scheduled for Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 1:00 PM Eastern US.

Use http://rel.to/IRC/openuruchat.php and enter your name to enter the chat.

To avoid false expectations and to prepare relevant questions, I would like to briefly state what OpenURU.org is, and what it is not:

OpenURU.org is a fan site which hopes to provide a venue with resources for a diverse community of projects to encourage a cooperative environment for the exploration, development and exchange of ideas in Cyan Worlds' Myst universe and Open Source Uru. Like the intentions of Cyan Worlds' decision to open the Uru source code, the direction OpenURU.org takes, and what it will offer, depends on the needs of the projects which choose to use it. OpenURU.org currently hosts project forums, where each project may have and control its own section, and plans to install a Wiki for project use. It will also provide such things as sub-domains to host websites of approved projects under the OpenURU.org domain.

OpenURU.org is NOT affiliated in any way with Cyan Worlds. It is NOT a repository for the open source code. OpenURU.org has not communicated with Cyan Worlds about the open source project, nor has Cyan Worlds communicated with OpenURU.org. But if it is allowed to publicly store the open source code at unofficial sites, OpenURU.org will look into it.

I recommend that any projects depending on the use of the open source Uru code hold off until Cyan Worlds releases the details of their plan and we know what is possible and relevant.

Best Wishes,

JWPlatt
Brought to you by the GoMe Message delivery service. Serving the community.
Bild
Antworten