Das Ende

Hier findet ihr Termine, Absprachen und Diskussionen zu Events in Myst Online: Uru Live.
Relikt
Forscher

Beitrag von Relikt » 10.04.2008, 16:37

Letzter Beitrag der vorhergehenden Seite:

Tja, nun ist es vorbei ...
Uru wird mir fehlen. Allerdings wird es meiner Nachtruhe zugute kommen, nicht mehr online gehen zu können. Die kleine, etwas bizarre Leidenschaft für die Höhle hat viel Zeit gefressen.

Aber sollte es mal wieder einen Server geben, werde ich es wohl nicht lassen können. Und wenn jemand eine nette Ecke im Web findet - bitte posten.

Special thanks an die Nulpen - der Kreis hat sich geschlossen.
(BK hat die letzten Stunden bei euch gesessen)

Bis denn ...
GaryMuc
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 3463398

Beitrag von GaryMuc » 10.04.2008, 17:08

Hallo Freunde,

ich habs leider nicht mehr geschafft.

Die seltsame Meldung: Der Server wurde wegen Wartungsarbeiten abgeschaltet.

Was warten die denn noch?

Gary

P.S.: Ich hoffe, die Welt geht nicht ganz unter!
MOUL KI-No. 3463398
D'n Alor
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 519683

Beitrag von D'n Alor » 10.04.2008, 19:39

Uru ist vom Server. Quelle FFA-Forum
Hoffentlich wird es nicht so schlimm, wie es schon ist ! ~ Karl Valentin
KI 00519683
Mara32
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 1753978
Beitrag von Mara32 » 10.04.2008, 19:42

Ich hab noch ein paar Bilderchen von heute morgen...
Dateianhänge
Der Bahro auf dem Sprung durchs Fenster...
Der Bahro auf dem Sprung durchs Fenster...
Grad war der Bahro noch da...
Grad war der Bahro noch da...
Worauf warten?
Worauf warten?
Die Stadt ist fast voll - auf nach K'Veer!
Die Stadt ist fast voll - auf nach K'Veer!
Susi packt mal eben schnell noch 1,57 Millionen Punkte auf den Imager...
Susi packt mal eben schnell noch 1,57 Millionen Punkte auf den Imager...
Mara32
Forscher
Beitrag von Mara32 » 10.04.2008, 19:48

weiter geht es...
Dateianhänge
ohne Worte
ohne Worte
Der Bahro reagiert auf Leute um ihn herum!
Der Bahro reagiert auf Leute um ihn herum!
ganz nah...
ganz nah...
MOUL-letzter Tag_213.jpg
Da ist er wieder, scheint uns etwas sagen zu wollen...
Da ist er wieder, scheint uns etwas sagen zu wollen...
Mara32
Forscher
Beitrag von Mara32 » 10.04.2008, 20:01

Noch ein paar Minuten...

Es war aufregend, nicht nur wegen des nahenden Endes, es war schön, dass der Bahro da war, irgendwie war das tröstlich. Man bekam den Eindruck, dass er uns nicht allein lassen wollte.

Abschied von den Höhlen - vorerst, denn die Hoffnung verlieren wir nicht. Wir haben die Foren und das muss vorerst genügen. Wie es weitergeht, werden wir sehen... :wink:
Dateianhänge
Goodbye!
Goodbye!
Ein Bahro an unserer Seite und ein Witzbold beim Customer Care - was für Torten bitte?
Ein Bahro an unserer Seite und ein Witzbold beim Customer Care - was für Torten bitte?
Der Bahro ist zurück!
Der Bahro ist zurück!
Wie ich Countdowns hasse!
Wie ich Countdowns hasse!
Verabschiedungen und kleine Scherze
Verabschiedungen und kleine Scherze
Vocky_5
Forscher
Beitrag von Vocky_5 » 10.04.2008, 22:25

Hey Nulpen,

vielen Dank für die schönen Fotos. Wenn ich mir die anschaue, kommt etwas Wehmut in mir auf...

Ich schaue aber mit Freude in die Zukunft, was wir Nulpen und die Community noch alles erleben und entdecken werden. Warten wir's ab...
http://www.nulp.de

Warten wir's ab ...
Vocky_5
Forscher
Beitrag von Vocky_5 » 11.04.2008, 21:45

ich nochmal,

hab da ein aktuelles Interview mit Rand im mystonline-Forum gefunden. Selbstverständlich auf English. Leider ist mein English nicht so gut, sodass ich nur einen Bruchteil verstehe. Gibts heir jemanden, der dass Ding irgenwie sinngemäß übersetzen kann? Schonmal Danke im Voraus. Würde mich echt mal interessieren, was Rand zum 2. Ende so sagt...

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15380
http://www.nulp.de

Warten wir's ab ...
UliG
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 2519703

Beitrag von UliG » 12.04.2008, 21:36

Ich vermisse MOUL :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dateianhänge
Zum Glück gibt es die Erinnerungen und die Hoffnung.
Zum Glück gibt es die Erinnerungen und die Hoffnung.
Das Ende ist noch nicht geschrieben
(und es wird auch nicht geschrieben)
Hamsta
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 657726
Beitrag von Hamsta » 13.04.2008, 08:49

Übersetzung habe ich leider auch keine, aber es gibt eine transkription auf englisch: Spoiler:
GWJ: So briefly, probably the first question is: so what happened?

Rand: (laughs) Oh my goodness. Umm... You know, Uru is a unique animal. I think that umm, just the way we tried to take the Myst franchise and do it online needed to be different, and I think the way we defined it early on was that was gonna be unique, and was going to take a large commitment of money to make content on a regular basis, and I don't know if publishers were ready for that. And so, and please believe me, we didn't do everything right; there were plenty of things we could have done differently as well, but I think at some point somebody will make some changes that will allow a more content based interactive online experience, um, work and work well.

GWJ: What do you mean by more content based one? Certainly, Blizzard would argue that they're content based.

Rand: Um...yeah I guess I look at Blizzard has content, but the goal of the game that you go in on a daily basis. To play the game is to level your character, and you see that in the content, but the purpose of the game is to level that character. I think that somebody is going to realize just that the other way that people are entertained, There is not any right or wrong way that people are entertained. It is very diverse, but one of the ways we are very used to in the United States is fresh content. I mean, we watch TV because we want to see fresh content. When the episodes of Lost go off for a while, so does the viewership. So if you can provide that same experience in an online world, where everyday I come back not just to level my character, to jump on the treadmill, but to see what might be new there today, I think there is a compliment there that is very intriguing.

GWJ: Yeah, I mean, one of the things that struck me about Uru, and also about the whole Myst series, is I know myself and other writers were drawn to the world, back however many years ago, because it was sort of one of the first examples we saw of storytelling without text, where we weren't being told a story in a sort of Lucas Arts adventure game mode. We were actually sort of trying to figure the story out by what was presented to us to explore and, you know, I think that one of the interesting things about Uru is that it almost seemed that Episodic was too structured. You almost wanted to have that stuff show up, like you said, every moment, you wanted there to be one new thing right in front of you.

Rand: Yeah I totally agree. I think that, umm, the constraints of budget were to kinda move you to an episodic route. Our goal at the very beginning of Uru, that was (you know we are talking many years ago), to truly have something intriguing every time you came back in, so as you are at school or work or something you are actually anticipating, wondering, "Hmm, I wonder if that waterfall will be open tonight or if there will be a new age there tonight I can, or if that one person who I met the other day will show up in that new spot of a character will perform something they said they were going to do." I mean all those things are content, and they're more story based content that I think a mass market audience would respond to. Unfortunately, that also takes tons and tons of money to create a never-ending supply of content, so the alternative to that is, since people are paying on a monthly basis, you just provide content that says once a month we'll give you something new. But I totally agree with you that the best way is to always keep people guessing, keep them wondering what's around the corner.

GWJ: So, I mean, do you think there is a failure of business model ingenuity in the industry here? Is there a new way to think about this? A lot of people are focused on either microtransactions or free but advertising based, or do you think there is another model other than simply pay for the content that might work here?

Rand: Yeah! I absolutely think there could be another model. Like I said, I don't think we had everything lined up the right way with Uru. I think we had a great idea, and I think the core of that concept of content is key, but how to get people to pay and how it works in the real business world is still something to be solved, and I don't know how…and to be honest with you, I think that it's something every medium has to deal with. When television was young, they had to figure out how to get people to pay for it and they went with the advertising route, and it became the norm, but we have ever since have been struggling with different alternatives to that, and what people will pay, and how much they'll pay, and how can we afford to put something new on television every night, and the same kind of ideas. So somebody may come up with a different route. I hope though that people don't look at Uru or Myst Online and think "oh well, I guess the idea of fresh content on a regular basis doesn't work," and I hope what they think is "well let's look at what they did right, what they did wrong; let's learn from it and see if we can learn from this, to take the idea of content and see if we can be successful there.

GWJ: I mean one of the things that's interesting is that there are plenty of other MMOs obviously out there that release content on a fairly regular basis, and folks like particular games that come from very story rich environments, like Lord of the Rings online. Obviously they have this huge mythos to explore, so they have tried to make that very very much about every month or two - have tried to dribble new stuff in, but the place bell is, as you said, very methodical and very traditional. Do you see how, I mean, there are not a lot of games out right now, or popular in the last five years, that have the explore and experience pathing that Myst had, or Riven, or any of the ones after it, and as a huge fan of the series, I somewhat lament that, and whether you call that adventure gaming or not, do you think that has that been replaced, is there just a generation of gamers that just doesn't care?

Rand: You know what, I think that it's just too expensive at this point. For Myst or otherwise. Our point with Myst was, and this is something we had trouble with when we first made Myst, we are going to make a game where you don't die, you don't really have a traditional gameplay system. You, in fact what we are going to do is build enough content, we are going to build enough original content, so you can actually feel like you got your money's worth buying this game. We are not going to use the traditional friction of repetitive game play or leveling to try and get more game play out of it. We are going to try to build a pure place to try to get your money's worth. It was a couple guys in a garage and it managed to work. The idea behind Myst Online was that we ought to be able to do that on a regular basis. We ought to be able to provide another age, and another age, and another age, and your exploration. The idea of you exploring your world or having an adventure in a world should never end. Now, I don't think that one type of game play is better than another, but I think there is something easier about doing the treadmilling because it's so well defined, and believe me I play World of Warcraft, like it. There is something really intriguing about it. It's a different kind of entertainment; it's more of competing with other people or competing with myself. It is satisfying in a different way. I think that what's appealing about Myst and the series in particular is I feel like I am in a real place, and I do wonder what is around the corner, and I do wonder how I am going to get there and what is going to be revealed and who came here before me, and it feels like I am taking part in a story instead of a competition.

GWJ: Right. And clearly one of the things that's so enticing about the worlds of Myst is the depth of the story, and certainly the books that came out very much exposed that that carried the feeling of exploration in a more personal way, but how much of that can be carried forward. There is a tremendous community obviously behind the Myst online idea, and that community seems like it wants to grab onto something, and certainly the story of Uru, the arc that it went through as a game before it finally came out, sort of shows the power of the community just never letting go (…). (Rand: That's right.) Is there another chapter in this story or do you sort of feel like you need to move onto something new?

Rand: Yeah, actually I have mixed emotions. It's…I don't want to be part of a game that wouldn't die kind of situation. But at the same time I feel the same way as some of the community members, like we've grown to love this thing. We have contributed countless hours to the design of it, well beyond what people have seen the background story, and the design of architecture, and the history, and all the things we built to keep a very consistent story line that we were excited to do. And we always anticipated that, little by little, that would continue to dribble out in this story. So some of the story that never ends, or game that never ends, you know, is maybe because it's so big there was a lot to keep coming. Now, all that said, the most intriguing aspect of all this to me is I think that the whole mythology of Myst is about people writing worlds. Was about somehow these people were empowered to start making their own places. And we have for a long time had some sort of dream that at some point people would be making their own ages to contribute to this universe, this Myst universe. Now that doesn't solve all your problems, but it opens up some really interesting opportunities, and boy, a whole huge discussion as well. But anyway, a long way of saying that we would love to see that happen now. We have a lot invested in this engine and the 3D technology and the artwork, and I suppose at this point it would be nice just not to see it go to waste, so we are still pursuing trying to open that up and see what happens if you throw open the doors to that.

GWJ: Right and I assume that your publishing relationship with Turner leaves you with all the rights to do that sort of stuff as you choose, right?

Rand: No, I mean, not really. To a certain extent Myst Online or Uru was sort of dead in the water before and Turner jumped in through GameTap and kinda resurrected it, so a lot of rights passed their directions and they put money into it as well. So we are still talking with them to get enough rights back in the right way that everybody's happy and nobody's afraid that if in some crazy way if the game takes off, that Turner's not left going, "wait a minute, what did we do". You want to protect your interests, especially after you've invested in something, but by the same token, if you just let it die you have no chance of making anything with it. So somewhere in there is the right balance, and we would love to convince them we can open this thing up and at least leave the door open for it to resurrect again in a different way yet again, and see what happens.

GWJ: Yeah, I mean there has been a lot of community sort of crying for, "Let us put up our own server," which I think has happened every time an MMO has either died or started to fail. Even with games like Auto Assault there was a die hard community that really wanted the game. They were willing to go buy a server and stick it in a server farm so that they could keep playing. So the idea that kind of thing is possible, and possibly even expandable, by giving the people the tools to make the game is very intriguing. That implies a lot of funding to me.

Rand: It's a lot of funding, but it's surprising sometimes what happens when you have a small group that wants to continue a dream. Sometimes the amount of server and bandwidth stuff you need is surprisingly small, especially these days, with the cost of servers and bandwidth continuing going down. So it's possible that something like that happens, that the idea that the masses are working on something instead of just a few people behind closed doors. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck that way and, unfortunately, it is not always the best, but every now and then the jewels come out and you still provide an expanding universe which is what to me Myst was always all about, for people to explore.

GJW: So, but at this point obviously you are not in a position to say, "This is what's next for Cyan Worlds!"

Rand: Oh no. I actually I wish I could nail it down. I wish I had that all nailed down. We're still talking, we're still trying to figure it out. We put a lot of our eggs in the Myst and Uru basket, but we still have got some other ideas that we would love to try to build, too, that are unrelated to Myst in any way. So we have a few of those with publishers and let's face it, this industry is tough and you are as good as your last product. You build it, and you get a publisher to fund it if you can. And there is not (houses)? little independent developers who are kinda in the middle of nowhere and who do their thing. We may be…we'll see, we'll see what the next project is. And some of that will be out of our hands, frankly.

GWJ: I mean are you going to be able to…I mean do you have any plans to keep the community going? I know that there is an annual convention. I think that it is in Boston this year. What can...are you going to try to sort of actively keep that alive for the next project? Or, what can you do in that regard?

Rand: Yeah! We have got some of the best fans in the world. I can't believe the fans we have. It's crazy. the fans give us pizza parties in the office. It truly is amazing. They're wonderful. It is a small group of people who really have invested, you know, not monetarily, but timewise, in all the things we have designed, and I would like nothing better than to keep it going. A lot of them are friends, a lot of them feel like family sometimes, and seeing them once a year, getting together once a year, or helping with that, is certainly a good thing to do. Now to me the thing that keeps it going is having the place, the virtual space, where everybody stays together. So that will be a key component, if it can exist beyond that virtual space being there for very long, I don't know. I don't know.

GWJ: Yeah it seems like there would be something of a half life there. Only so much time can go by. That was one of the amazing things about the interim period that Myst Online went through, where it was going to be a game, then it wasn't going to be a game, then it came back, was that that community seemed to stay sort of frothed up.

Rand: Yeah, it's true and it was interesting, because when we came back they came from all over. It was like the gathering. A lot of people had gone to There or Second Life or other smaller, more social oriented online universes, and a lot of people came back from those to Myst Online when it came back. Maybe they'll do it again. I don't know if it'll come back again. I tend to think that if it comes back again it would truly have to be something more open at this point. I think people would actually respond to that favorably. They love it, they want to contribute to it, and if we had some way for them to do it, that would be the most intriguing thing.

GWJ: I mean that sort of sounds a little bit like Second Life. I mean sort of, you know, user-generated content. Have you played around in there very much or do you have (…) experience with that?

Rand: Yeah, yeah. In a lot of ways, I think it is Second Life. I think that what Second Life lacks is, (this is going to sound a bit of a critique) a lot of people will like this, but I think what it lacks is some sort of government. This sounds sort of odd, but a governing body of some sort is not always that bad. I really don't want to get into politics because it's terrible. Helps keep the world in a good state. So the interesting thing about Myst Online is there is a history, there is an old government way that is set up, and there are people who are ready to take that on. And the way I see that working is that not everybody gets to make their content in completely anarchistic ways. You make content and submit it. It is approved by somebody, and it is tested by the same rules and regulations that were a part of this D'ni culture and history that we have sort of educated everybody on, and it if fits, it is added to the content base, by the community. It's built by the community and controlled by the community, which is kinda an interesting concept.

GWJ: Yeah, yeah. I mean it sounds like a world I'd love to play in. You know, it sounds like a world that would be interesting and evolving, and my experience with Second Life hasn't really been that. It's been a bit too much Wild West.

Rand: Yeah yeah. And granted, I don't want to diss Second Life, because they have some really cool things going on there. I just think that it really is, a lot of it is out of control, and some of it is by design. They want to see what happens. It's a big sandbox to see what people will do. But I think if you, as an iteration, or as the next phase, or as an alternative to Myst Online having someone who governs that more, and even having parties that are set up to set aside portions of design having parties to is not a bad thing. Having the government to say this area is going to be a park, and this area is going to be an opera house, and we need somebody to design those things specifically, I don't think that's all that bad.

GWJ: Yeah. I can see that. It allows some level of structure to exist, and it falls somewhere in between the world that is handed to you by Blizzard, and the world that rises from the chaos of something like Second Life. I can see that being compelling.

Rand: Yeah, yeah something in between where you've got free roads and parks that are designed, but you can get some places that are designed by other people that might surprise you by what they've done.

GWJ: Well, you know I wish you all the success in creating that for me.

Rand: You know, I may not jump into that right away. We'll take a little breather and we'll see if we can stay around a little bit longer as a company, and we'll see what happens with the rights, and we'll see what happens with the fans, and uh, but boy, I have long stopped trying to guess what'll happen next with Myst and Myst Online. It's kinda got a mind of it's own, a life of it's own. Yeah, and to be honest with you, sometimes, in some ways, things have to die before they can be resurrected in a different way, and you never you learn from it, and you move on, and sometimes things end up a little bit better the next time around.
Quelle: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 985#255985

Und GreyDragon hat eine Video über die berühmt-berüchtigten ResEngs gepostet: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15328
In MYST geht es darum in eine komplett andere Welt einzutauchen, dieser Welt erlauben deine eigene zu werden, sie zu erforschen damit du sie verstehst.
- Rand Miller
Thoro
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 529779
Beitrag von Thoro » 13.04.2008, 12:32

Ich fange mal mit einer Übersetzung an ...
Sarkasmus ... wie originell.
susi
Forscher
Beitrag von susi » 13.04.2008, 12:36

UliG hat geschrieben:Ich vermisse MOUL :cry: :cry: :cry:
Wir auch Uli, und ich werde es wohl diesmal auch als Erinnerung ( wobei ich nicht glaube das mich jemals jemand an diese Tolle Zeit erinnern muss ) installiert lassen :top:

/ dickes hug at Uli

Gruß Susi
Ein neues Abenteuer wartet auf uns. Denn, das Ende ist doch noch nicht geschrieben.Bild
FFA Forum
Susis Blog
Davanie
Forscher

Beitrag von Davanie » 13.04.2008, 16:49

susi hat geschrieben: Wir auch Uli, und ich werde es wohl diesmal auch als Erinnerung ( wobei ich nicht glaube das mich jemals jemand an diese Tolle Zeit erinnern muss ) installiert lassen :top:

Gruß Susi
lol - habe mich bislang auch geweigert den Client zu deinstallieren...

Davanie
AmbientKatz
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 143577

Beitrag von AmbientKatz » 13.04.2008, 19:14

Vielleicht können wir ihn ja noch gebrauchen. Ich habe jedenfalls mal zur Vorsicht den ganzen MOUL-Ordner und was dazu gehört (eigene Dateien usw.) auf einen Stick gesichert und verwahre ihn gut. :)
Thoro
Forscher
KI-Nummer: 529779
Beitrag von Thoro » 13.04.2008, 21:17

Ich habe jetzt vielleicht 20% vom Interview fertig übersetzt. Es sind zwar einige nette Infos drin, aber 90% davon ist irgendwie nur Gebrabbel, welches sich nicht mal schön übersetzen lässt, weil ständig Füllwörter oder Wiederholungen vorkommen: "I mean, uhm, I think, you know, well, it's kinda bla bla ..." :P Ich weiß also nicht, ob es wirklich noch groß taugt, das weiter zu übersetzen. Ich habe die Übersetzung im emc-Wiki angelegt; wer sich als getrieben fühlt, das Interview zu ergänzen, sei herzlich eingeladen. ;)

Übersetzung Interview mit Rand Miller
Sarkasmus ... wie originell.
Antworten